Tuesday, 7 October 2008

It's good to be warm again...

I arrived back in Karachi at 3.20 am on Sunday having taken a slightly different route than the one first envisaged!! I was dropped by Matthew at Manchester Airport at just after 8 am on Saturday morning and I made my way to the Business check in desk for Turkish Airlines. As I waited for the clerk to be ready I heard him say to his colleagues that hey should not check any one in for Delhi or Karachi!! When he was ready for me I told him that I would like to go to Karachi. He directed me to his colleague at the ticket desk and she told me she was just waiting for a call from PIA (Pakistan International Airways (more lovingly know as Prayers In the Air)) to see if they had a flight for me on their direct flight to Karachi. Now there is two things you need to know about this flight, one is that it is almost impossible to get on as it originates in New York and by the time it gets to Manchester it is almost completely full, and secondly, that ‘direct’ does not mean ‘non-stop’, for this direct flight calls at Islamabad and drops of passengers there.

The good news was there was one remaining seat in Business Class and it was now mine, this was fantastic news as not only was it an earlier flight, but I did not have to change planes in Islamabad and Business Class PIA was far superior to Business Class Turkish. Turkish was OK but certainly not worth the extra money, whereas PIA was great, not quite Qatar but a close second!

When we landed at Islamabad and the doors were opened it was lovely to feel the warm air rushing in and we were told the temperature was about 84F and this was at midnight! Now I know some of you think I have gone a bit nesh, but I know for a fact that several of you have turned on the central heating already, so who’s the nesh one now!

School is still going well and there is only a week and a half left until half term which is great. Half term will herald the arrival of Margaret and Dorothy (better know as Meg and Dot) my friends from Darlington. Meg is the Holiday Leader for Submerge which I help run every summer and Dot is her sister. They will be spending 10 days with me and we will be heading of to Lahore for a couple of days to do the sights. We had thought we might go north and see the mountains, the sisters after all have climbed Kilimanjaro and Meg has been trekking in Nepal, but I did such a good job on behalf of the Pakistani Tourist Board that they both are keen to see the wonders of Lahore, including of course the wonderful madness that is the Border Closing Ceremony at Wagah. This will be my third time of seeing it and I am sure it will be just as barmy as before!

Today has also seen the first rehearsal of the BOS Secondary Department Production for 2009 which is “And Then There were None” by Agatha Christie. Some of the cast from ‘An Inspector Calls’ will be taking part again and we have also got some new blood in the cast. I have also been joined by a new co-director, Nicola, fresh from her triumph directing the Key Stage 2 Production of ‘Jack’, which had the wonderful scene of Morag the cow and her Scottish Country Dancing friends. Our cast this year is 11 though, this being Agatha, they don’t all make it to the final scene. There is only 20 weeks to opening night so I just hope they are busy learning their lines…

No comments: